| Photo Credit: Sabrina Boyd |
Background
They say people come into your life as blessing or lesson,
and the night that I met Wendy it was both a blessing and a lesson.
I was in a bit of a rut, to say the least, the week before, I
had crashed my car on my way to get “let go” from my job, (that is another post
completely). I had been a bit depressed and could not get over my negative feelings;
I had to force myself out of bed to attend not one but two graduation parties,
and a Rascal Flats concert, which my friend Sabrina had got tickets to.
The graduation parties did not help my mood, and I tried to
psychic myself up for the concert. I changed into a maxi dress and headed over
to meet Sabrina. Still trying to get over my mood, we drove to the show and
were directed to park in a back lot. A giant white pick-up truck parked next to
us and out popped this lady in her forties, wearing a cowboy hat boots, and
drinking a beer, she introduced herself as Wendy.
Before heading into the concert we talked to Wendy about
tailgating and how the bathroom lines are so long, she advices us to always use
the back stalls based on them always, always, always being open. I had no idea
at the time, that this would be the first life lesson Wendy would teach me!
We went to the concert and it changed my mood completely,
giving my little hope to my feelings that I was living a pathetic life, I mean
seriously, no car, no job and feeling like a failure in everything. I needed something to help me out, and live music was the beginning of turning around my outlook, Wendy was the other HUGE impact that night. Sabrina and I walked
back to the car and my phone was dying, which was bad because I needed my phone's GPS
to get us home.
I decided to ask Wendy if I could charge my phone in her truck.
Of course her being a blessing to me, she said yes. We decided at that moment
that we would talk and hangout drinking until the traffic cleared a bit, and
this is where things got interesting.
We started talking to Wendy, who was drunk at this point
about life. She told us that she had been married for 25 YEARS, and was still
madly in love with her man. I had to know her secret, considering I cannot
convince a guy to stay with me, and then Wendy said something I didn’t see coming,
she said she, married for SEX and inherited a TRUST FUND!
WHAT?! She said you have to have a man that is good in bed,
because no matter how shitty your day is, if you come home to great sex
everything with be erased and easier. So always choose the man who is good in
bed! She also said if you want him to love you, you have to be willing to give
him something in return. All men love girls that give them Blow Jobs. Guys need
to have something every once in a while so if you want to keep him, blow him
off every once in a while!
I was both shocked and intrigued! I needed to know more and
what Wendy’s thoughts about my current situation were. So I briefly told Wendy
what was going on in my life, and she gave my some real perspective… “You don’t
want to work for a man who is insecure and doesn’t respect you, everything happens
for a reason and you are going to be stronger when you make it through this,
and you will!”
She then proceeded to tell me that
her best friend recently died of cancer, and right before she died, Wendy asked
her, “What advice can you leave me in this world?” Her friend’s advice, was… “Less stuff more Memories.”
It is that simple Less stuff more memories. We spend so
much money on things we don’t need because we think they will make us have a
better time, we forget to enjoy the little things in life, like talking to a
stranger in a parking lot. How had I not seen this before, I didn’t want to be
in a dead-end job working for a man who was not a good boss, that wasn’t the life I had seen for myself,
that wasn’t what was important to me, what was important to me was the people I
had met, the memories we had shared. Wendy really gave me hope that I would
find a better job, which would allow me to make even more people and create
more memories. Life was too short to
focus on the negative, and the past, I had to enjoy the now.
One of the last things Wendy left me
with was this… at the end of the day, no matter how many screws ups you think
you made, look at yourself in the mirror and ask, am I a good person? If the
answer is yes, then be proud of who you are and the rest will fall into place,
if the answer is no, then you have some work to do. One of the most important
things in life is being a good person.
As we decided to part ways, I gave
Wendy the biggest hug ever and she said, god parked me next to you for a
reason. I once again thanked this lady who gave me so much perspective, and the
clarity I needed to pick myself up and move on and grow form the negative experiences
I was currently having.
OTHER WENDY ADVICE….
- Stretch everyday so when you’re old you won’t have too many issues.
- Be with the guy that who makes you so happy in future years, you can look across a room and still be as attracted to him as the day you first met.
- Your kids are a reflection of you, if you raise assholes, then you’re a shitty parent and should straiten them out!
- Always save half the money for something you want, if you can’t save half the money for the car you want, then you really didn’t want it.
- Always carry cash. When you run out of cash, it is time for you to stop spending money!
No comments:
Post a Comment